Studio W Architects is seeking a highly talented individual to manage and grow Studio W Architects’ presence in educational, commercial and/or civic architectural commissions throughout California. This leadership position will be responsible for managing its own respective market(s) and will report directly to the President & CEO. Applicant must have the mind of a creative strategist, the personality to network with prospective clients and significant experience in the design of public and private facilities. The successful applicant must also possess strong client leadership and project management skills, proven business development skills and passion, along with the ability to visualize, communicate and deliver creative and functional design solutions, lead programming efforts and present early design phases to school boards, clients and constituent groups. This position can be based in our San Jose, Sacramento or Irvine office.
- Business Development. Work with Studio W Architects’ President & CEO and Marketing & Business Development Manager to develop relationships with key strategic clients in the K-12, charter school, community college, commercial and/or civic markets throughout California. Create, grow and maintain client relationships and develop organizational relationships between Studio W Architects and the client organization.
- Marketing & Sales. Collaborate with the marketing department to identify and respond to opportunities, coordinating with Studio W Architects’ President & CEO as needed. Help develop the strategy and draft responses to Requests for Proposals/Qualifications (RFP/Qs), as well as participate in the preparation of content for interviews and presentations.
- Project Leadership. Coordinate the client design and budget objectives with the project design team to satisfy the client’s goals. Actively implement strategic initiatives to get each project funded, contracted and started. Serve as the client leader for the Studio W Architects project team. Delegate project management to Studio W Project Architect/Project Manager while still maintaining client relationship. Monitor project progress throughout project delivery.
- Staff/Office Management. Represent Studio W through management of office staff and resources. Build and grow staff members, project types, corporate culture and physical office environment given the overall strategy defined by Studio W’s President & CEO and COO.
- Create project designs and plans for all phases of projects and coordinate building design consultants, while monitoring the design intent from beginning to end.
- Coordinate with the Project Managers for budgeting, scheduling, planning, design, specification and working drawings on a given project with authority to direct, control and monitor the project’s design.
- Perform work requiring independent judgment in evaluation, selection and substantial adaptation/modification of architectural design techniques, procedures and criteria.
- Initiate and monitor procedures for architectural design.
- Contribute information for architectural specifications, including consulting product manufacturers, evaluating, selecting and presenting materials and colors.
- Prepare and/or supervise the preparation of architectural renderings and architectural plans through agency approval.
- Review architectural design related RFI’s during construction and periodically visit construction site(s) to confirm design.
- Supervise multiple Job Captains and Designers on various projects concurrently.
- Oversee marketing/business development design tasks, such as the graphic design of collateral, web-based content and print media.
- Licensed/Certified Professional with 10+ years related experience in public and private educational, civic and/or commercial design, including Department of the State Architect (DSA) experience
- Experience in OPSC and State grant qualifications and funding
- Experience in programming, schematic design and presentations to planning commissions, city councils, boards of education, community partners and various other stakeholder groups
- Knowledge of traditional project delivery, design-build and lease-leaseback delivery methods and related contract administration
- Proven ability to manage staff, project schedules, budgets and profitability
Skills & Traits:
- A strong, likable presence and interpersonal communication skills
- Key ties to the communities identified above through partnerships with local organizations and politics
- Positive attitude and ability to lead finance, human resources and culture building activities
- Ability to generate new business to meet Studio W’s objectives as defined by Studio W’s President & CEO and COO
- Strong design skills utilizing software like SketchUp, Revit, Photoshop and InDesign
- Strong verbal and written skills for presentations and proposals
- An intelligent, collaborative and articulate approach
- Ability to balance a broad scope of activities
- Strong management and leadership skills
Compensation & Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with experience.
We offer an extensive benefits package for this position, including:
- Paid vacation, sick leave and holidays
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability
- Flexible Spending Account
- Performance-based bonus
- Professional membership support and training opportunities
- Give-back program offering company contribution on employee behalf to qualifying non-profit organizations
- Quarterly morale and team building events
Studio W Architects is an Equal Opportunity Employer. At this time, Studio W Architects will not sponsor a new applicant for work authorization.
For more information or to submit a resume, please contact Brian P. Whitmore, AIA, LEED® AP, President & CEO, at 916.254.5602 or BrianW@StudioW-Architects.com. Studio W Architects does not accept unsolicited resumes from third party recruiters or employment agencies.
To apply for this job email your details to BrianW@StudioW-Architects.com